If you live near Sunnyvale, CA, and have been looking for a chiropractor who can help you get lasting low back pain relief, we encourage you to connect with our team at Tropea Chiropractic, Inc. Our experienced chiropractic physician, Dr. Tony Tropea, DC, is happy to answer your FAQs about low back pain and meet with you to discuss your concerns and goals.
Are there Risk Factors Associated With Back Pain?
We know of several reasons why back pain is so common (it's been estimated that 80% of people will have back pain at least once!). For one thing, scientific research describes several risk factors for low back pain which tend to affect a significant portion of the general population. These risk factors include:
- Advancing age
- Family history or personal history of back pain
- Frequent sitting, heavy lifting, bending and twisting
- Physically demanding occupations and hobbies
- Other underlying health conditions, like obesity, depression, and fibromyalgia
Back pain is also common because the spine contains hundreds of bones, muscles, nerves, ligaments, tendons, joints, and other connective tissues that are susceptible to injury and the effects of cumulative, age-related changes in tissue health and function.
Your spine must protect your nervous system, absorb forces, and support your entire body.
What Causes Back Pain?
Common causes of back pain include:
- Spinal stenosis, or the gradual narrowing of bony spaces in the spine, can cause stiffness, pain, and spinal nerve root compression
- Sciatica, a condition that occurs when one or both of the sciatic nerves in the lower back become pinched and irritated
- Spondylosis (a type of arthritis affecting the spine)
- Spinal muscle spasms
- Ligament sprains
- Acute trauma like falls, car crashes, or lifting injuries
Chronic back pain can also develop without a clear cause or diagnosis.
What Are the Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Back Pain?
Chiropractic care is beneficial for back pain because:
- It includes non-invasive and drug-free techniques that are safe for people of all ages and health backgrounds
- It features services like chiropractic adjustments that help the nervous system switch into a restorative, healing mode instead of a chronically stressed, "fight or flight" mode associated with pain, illness, and injury
- It can be personalized to fit the specific needs of each patient
By implementing lifestyle modifications, body mechanics training, and corrective exercises, our chiropractor can help people avoid future or recurring back pain
Schedule an Appointment with Our Chiropractor in Sunnyvale, CA
Call Tropea Chiropractic, Inc. today at (408) 329-9604 for more information or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor.